Tuesday, September 28

something new

Well...
It has been a while since I posted last and I thought that I would say hello.
Things are going well here. I had my Birthday on sunday and I spent the weekend with my family. My adorable husband was glad to see me when I got back.
I am twenty five now. That is one quarter of a century and probably more than one quarter of my life gone. That is a very strange and somewhat disturbing thought. I hope that when I am fifty I will have grandchildren. I better get on the ball!

I was suprised to find that I am smarter than I thought I was. I have been reading Joseph Cmpbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which is apparently not as well known as I thought it was. If anyone reaidng this has read it, let me know what you think of it. It incorperates a lot of different religions and I find that interesting. Basicaly it says that a hero has to go on a journey, descend to an underworld, struggle, and eventually return with something which will renew life on the upper plain. Often the hero will be misunderstood after he returns, and it takes a lot of discplene to descend into the underworld in the first place. It mirrors both the story of Jesus and the Christian path. I will probably say more about it later- since I am still slogging through the book- but I am interested in what other people think about the idea that the story of Christ is another version of the Monomyth. Are we to be heroes to be saved? how significant, then is this physical life, where we would like to think, as christians, that it is not...

On a lighter note, the air is getting cooler and I am looking forwarrd to fall.

Charlie

No comments: