Saturday, June 30

Aiming too low

When I decided to start running again I decided that I had to sit down and really think about why Iw as doing it.

1.  For my health.  I need to lose some weight.  My family has a history of heart disease. What more do I need to say?
2.  For myself.  It's amazing how refreshing that time can be for me.  I can just think and go.  No one is asking anything of me, and I can see just how much I am capable of.
3.  For my kids.  I want them to see that a healthy lifestyle is important, and that it's a priority for me.  I also want my kids to see that their mom has interests outside the house; that she's strong.
4.  For endurance.  I've never really been able to run for long, mostly because I've been in lousy shape for so long.  I'd love to say, "Having kids will do that to you." but that would be disingenuous.  The truth is that I have been in good shape for a long time; well before my children came along.  I can't blame them.  It's time to discipline myself.  Past time.

So today i thought I would see how far I can run.  I didn't go fast, but I thought I'd aim for a half mile.   It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, so I kept going.  Somewhere around 3/4 of a mile I knew that I could get to a full mile and maybe further.  I ran the entire mile in 13 minutes and 25 seconds- not fast, but certainly respectable.  I'm going to do it again on Monday and see if I can do it in less than 13 minutes.  Maybe less than 12?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Chara!