Tuesday, October 12

NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  For the past 3 years I've been thinking that I should do this.  How hard could it really be to put down 4.5 pages of stuff every day?

And then I think about it and I realize that I haven't written that prolifically since... high school?  I guess that's how hard it is.

But, in the spirit of just doing what I need to do... I'm just gonna do it.  On the bright side I've read all sorts of articles about how to do this and basically they all agree: you just have to make yourself do it, and don't worry if what you are putting out is just plain drivel.  I don't think they have to worry too much about that drivel part.

So this doesn't start until November 1st.  Usually I start things and then after a few days I get too busy and they sputter out, but now I have to wait.  So what does one do while waiting?  Apparently most people work on their outlines and make detailed files with information about their characters, plots, locations and any other pertinent topics they might need to know about.  So that's what I've started doing.  I've had a story in the back of my mind for years now, and I've started it several times, but it never felt right and it never went anywhere.  Last night I was working on a very broad outline and it suddenly occurred to me that I knew how the story ended... I could do this.

What else am I doing?  Well, for one I'm downloading a free trial sample of Inspiration software.  Inspiration is for people who think visually (like me) to put information out there in a visual way.  The plan is to put all of my outline information into a visual medium.  I'll share some of that here later.

Anyone out there interested in trying this with me?  Let me know.  Even if you don't want to try it, please feel free to harass me so I have some motivation for days (kinda like today) when having 5 minutes of peace seems impossible.

3 comments:

t sanders said...

You have talked about doing this for many years now and haven't completed the task for whatever reason. I get excited for you every year.

So, my question is, why are you waiting til November one? Yes, I know that it's supposed to start November one, but why don't you start October fifteen and go until December fifteen. You probably have more constraints on you due to those beautiful children and doubling your time allows you to half you daily responsibility of 4.5 pages to 2.25.

I know that this is not your goal, but it was just a thought. I look forward to reading your story (and the dedication in the front to your W).

Chara said...

Interesting comment.
You are being ridiculously generous by saying that I've never completed it, since I've never made it past three days.

For one thing, I am actually doing some prep this year, whereas I've never actually put much effort in preparing. It's always been sort of a last-minute "hey, why don't I do this?" kind of thing. So, this year I'm actually preparing for the task. Think of it as getting into a routine so that I can run a 5k, rather than just decide to try to run one without having run in ten years (who would do that??)

Also, I kind of think the pressure is a good thing. It forces me to find the time- to make the time- instead of finding excuses for not doing much or skipping a day- which inevitably leads to quitting altogether.

Anyway, we'll see what comes of it. It may not be worth reading, but at least it will teach me to find/make the time to do the things I want to do.

Unknown said...

do it. i wish i were honestly the type of person that had a novel in her head - i'm not. at least, not yet ;) i look forward to hearing about it! i think you can do this, and it will be great.