Friday, March 7

Hello again.

I've been pretty silent since I got back to Oklahoma. Josh and I took some pretty cute pictures of Jonah and managed to lose the camera. Also Josh got sick again (same weird cold thing) and I've picked it up.

So Jonah is teething. It took me a few days to figure it out because it's so early. He had a couple of bad nights, but it hasn't been too bad. Lots of drool, though. Lots.

I've been reading. I read about half of Wendell Barry's The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture which has been fascinating, but rather heavy reading. I've taken a break and I've started reading the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder I've read the first three and I've started By the Shores of Silver Lake.

I think it's an appropriate break to take. Barry makes a lot of really interesting observations about the state of American culture and makes a clear connection to the changes in agriculture to the changes in the way our culture thinks about energy in general (because food is energy, of course). The interesting thing is that this book was written in 1978- the year before I was born.
Going green is all the rage in the last few years, but the issues that have caused the problems we are currently dealing with have been around for a while.Maybe I'll post more about this later.

We are headed back to Nashville this Saturday to spend Spring Break at home. It feels like a vacation. I'm really looking forward to having a week of quiet time with my family.

On the housing front... we got an offer on our house, but it was really insulting. Basically they wanted us to pay them to take our house. I was talking to my Mom about it this morning and she used the word "stealing." I'm pretty sure that's what people are trying to do. Just because the market is bad doesn't mean you shouldn't pay what a house is worth! Grr! (end of diatribe)

Anyway, I took some photos of Jonah on Josh's phone and I'll try to post them soon- sooner than a month from now anyway.

No comments: