Tuesday, August 24

People we meet along the way...

Just so anyone knows, I have fixed the settings on here so that anyone may comment now. I just ask that if you comment anonymously that you sign your name.

Well, today has been a bit boring- especially since all I have wanted to do is try to figure out how to work out my newest issue. I would like to tell stories that are personal, but I have to be able to tell folktale type stories as well. So I have come up with a compromise. I would really like to put together a folktale about my sisters.
My youngest sister gave me a book last year, called Three sensible adventures- I really reccomend this book to anyone- and it has made me want to portray my own sisters in supernatural, metaphorical ways. I've been a bit stuck, though.
I was re-reading the poem The Goblin Market by Christina Rosetti- one of my favorites. I thought I would post the end for you all to read. I really reccomend the whole poem but it's a bit long to put here. It's about two sisters, one named Laura and the other named Lizzie. Laura succombs to the temptation of the Goblin's forbidden fruit and Lizzie risks everything for her. (Okay I know that it's a little cheese city, but I really like it)

Laura awoke as from a dream,
Laugh'd in the innocent old way,
Hugg'd Lizzie but not twice or thrice;
Her gleaming locks show'd not one thread of grey,
Her breath was sweet as May
And light danced in her eyes.
Days, weeks, months, years
Afterwards, when both were wives
With children of their own;
Their mother-hearts beset with fears,
Their lives bound up in tender lives;
Laura would call the little ones
And tell them of her early prime,
Those pleasant days long gone
Of not-returning time:
Would talk about the haunted glen,
The wicked, quaint fruit-merchant men,
Their fruits like honey to the throat
But poison in the blood;
(Men sell not such in any town):
Would tell them how her sister stood
In deadly peril to do her good,
And win the fiery antidote:
Then joining hands to little hands
Would bid them cling together,
"For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands."

Christina Rossetti

If this makes you think of anything in particular that you might want to share about your siblings feel free to let me know. Mine are particularly wonderful, even if it's hard to think up good super-abilities for them.

Laura (my baby sister, the artist) has come up with her own super-ability: something to do with vision. I think that she will be the one who can see the beauty in all things. Tara (my twin) will probably be the one who heals all wounds. I can't seem to come up with anything for myself or my oldest sister Christa.
Hopefully after my Historical and Psychological Aspects of Storytelling class this will be much easier.

Well I've rambled long enough...

Charlie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this idea. Perhaps you should ask your sisters what they think their strengths are. Or you could ask them what super powers they would like to have. By the way, I am posting anonymously.

Josh

Laura said...

Finally a story with me in it! Split and flanked totally left me out.

Thanks for my super ability, I like it very much.