Thursday, September 22

Fall 2

I love fall, but the change of weather has left me in a funk.  If I am honest, it isn't simply the change in weather but the presence of a climate of coldness and indifference.

I don't know Troy Davis, but the whole story has made me sad.
A friend is keeping a foster child who showed up on their doorstep with nothing but the clothes on her back and I can't help but feel angry on her behalf.
I am starting to think that this country is going to rip itself apart because we have two political parties who are more interested in proving a point, and being right, than doing what is right.
It seems that everywhere you turn, people are taking advantage of one another, often under the pretense of doing good things.

I just keep reminding myself that Psalm 23:4 promises me, "Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will not fear evil.  His rod and His staff comfort me."  Whatever evil things we encounter, whether is it injustice or selfishness, or even if we are used or mocked, we do not have to be afraid.  He offers us comfort.  The Bible also promises that he is a God of justice, mercy, and compassion.

There are other thoughts that have become themes to me lately.
Repentance
Being a thoughtful parent
Reconciliation

 

1 comment:

Anglican Mama said...

Hi Chara--I came to your blog via the post from Andrea on our "solo seasons" as wives. I related to your thoughts too, and will be thinking of you as my solo season begins sometime next week, and will be praying for you too!

I also relate to your post here--living in a sinful world can be so infuriating and discouraging, since we can't escape its cruelty and insanity. But the promises you shared are SO true, and makes us want to cling to them. :)
A quote I read from C.J. Mahaney came to mind after your post..."In the darkest night of the soul, Christians have something to hold onto that Job never knew--we know Christ crucified."
Amen :)