Wednesday, November 5

Last night we got Jonah's hair cut. Today we went to Ladies Bible Study and had lunch with friends. It's been a cool breezy day, slightly overcast, but the light has been nice for fall. I spent the afternoon cleaning the kitchen (ignoring the big job I should be doing today), playing with Jonah and a wind-up Monkey and getting ready for dinner.

I have not read any of the election coverage. I knew how all of this would end last year (or maybe it was the year before) when Barak Obama was on Oprah. My gut told me then. My gut feeling didn't really change the way I voted. I've had a long time to think about this day. I'm glad to be in this country at a time when a minority can become president of the United States. I'm glad we don't live in a time that still treats grown people like livestock.

However, I wish we lived in a country that could treat all life as sacred. I wish we lived in a country that did not have the kinds of economic issues that we face. I am not speaking of poverty here, as much as a sense of entitlement to "The American Dream" (which is no longer simply the idea of having enough, but of having more than others). There are many things I would like to change about this country. Change would be wonderful. But I fear the kind of change that we are about to see is not even close to the kind of change I personally dream of.

The kind of change I dream of is not the same kind that our new president elect has in mind. I have discovered over the last year that I tend to think more along a Libertarian frame of mind in some areas.

The sad truth of the matter is that, in a Democracy, we have almost no business putting restrictions on people. Democracy means that gay marriage should be legal, abortion should only be monitored for medical purposes and everyone should be able to do exactly as they please. This isn't really the kind of change I'm looking for, though.

I also don't want to live in a Theocracy. Many countries have tried that and they don't work out so well.

I already have my citizenship in the best place imaginable. The leader is wonderful, fair, generous, and perfect. He is interested in me, personally, and He knows what is best for me. Hopefully I'll be going home in about 50 years.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Amen.