Tuesday, December 6

knitting

Now you have come to your fourth year
Your work you will begin-
That is learning the three arts:
To read, to knit, to spin.
~ Icelandic nursery rhyme

And

Taken from- The Lady of Shalot

(you may recognize it as the part that Anne recites just as she's about to drown)

There she weaves by night and day
A magic web with colors gay.
She has heard a whisper say,
A curse is on her if she stay
To look down on Camelot.

She knows not what the curse may be,
And so she weaveth steadily,
And little other care hath she,
The Lady of Shallot.

There is something about the act of knitting- or crochet as the case may be- that intrigues. It seems to be an ultimatly adult activity- work. However, I find that I learn stories better when I let them ruminate and marinate while I am crocheting. My fingers move but my mind wanders and explores.

Elizabeth Ellis colors while learning stories- often pictures of the story in her mind but other times, just pictures.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I like to think one of the draws of knitting is the rhythmic movement. like a parallel for breathing.