Friday, April 15

Tomorrow...

Since I know that many of you who read this will not be able to be present tomorrow I thought I might post a thought or two about my "performance."
I am still having trouble with the order (i'm considering moving the first story to the end and the last story to the beginning) and I would love any opinions. Even if you read this later I could still use opinions since I plan on using this show in the future.

I thought I would start with a family story about my grandmother and use it to explain why I am doing what I am doing. Next I will tell The Willing Bride of the Lindorm King to illustrate the roles women play in each other's lives. Then I will tell a version of Ruth and Naomi focusing on how the women were interdependent. Finally I will tell another personal story called "How I got my Bed" which I have modified a little to focus more on my relationship with my mother and the things she has given me.

Here's the prob- Elizabeth Ellis says that a good way to shape a program is to follow this pattern- Haha, Aha, Ahh, Amen. That means a funny story, a story with an element of suprise, a story which confirms human truths (i'm not sure if I am explaining that right, but normally a bible story fits in here), and a story to which all can agree that life should be lived that way (Elizabeth's Tam Lin and Byrd Janet is a good example ecause of the way it ends.)
My First story isn't remotely funny, my second story is a little funny, but it's more of the Ahh! type- maybe? My third story fits, but the last story is kind of funny and light- it would need some tweaking to be an Amen story- although I guess I am tweaking it anyway.

Like I said in the beginning- the creative process can make for apretty bumpy ride. I know that a lot of you might not understand this at all, and maybe i'm just trying to think through everything, but if you have opinions or questions, feel free to ask.

Chara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie,
I think that you might think about combining David Novak's system of linking the stories so that we will remember them all and Elizabeth's method. I think the first story is one that connects you to your audience. If it involves humor most audiences are sucked in by that right away. I think a the story of your grandmother and you will bring you alive to them and personable..it should work... Ending your program with humor is definitely okay. Humor can make an impressionable point too!!! I wish I could see you. I miss you dearly and think of you often Peace, Mary