Saturday, November 20

Choices we make along the way

When I graduated high school I was given the best piece of advice that I have ever been given. My English teacher told me: "From this point on in your life everything you do is for yourself. You don't have to please your parents or anyone else ifyou don't want to. If you go to church or go to college or have a friend, it's because you made that choice and you don't have to have those things in your life."
I have never forgotten that because I know that while that sounds a little extreme, it's true.
So I am loking at my life right now and I am thinking about the people that I have surrounded myself with, the husband I have chosen, the career path I have taken... If I'm not happy with any of it I have only myself to blame, because I made thesee choices.
Fortunatly, I am very happy with my choices.
This is something that has been ruminating in my mind for a while...

So, a year ago I made an effort to find the storyteller who told me the first story I ever hears, but I wasn't very successful and I didn't try very hard. Yesterday I think i found her and so far I have tried two e-mail addresses, but I haven't gotten a response. If I don't hear from her by monday I think I will be writing her a letter, since I have her physical address as well. I am not sure what I expect from this, but I would like to be able to thank her if nothing else.

Charlie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very good idea. I hope she answers you.